Friday, May 29, 2009

Dance, dance, dance...!








Today is the happiest day I´ve lived in Cuzco.
I´m trying to keep the overdose of emotions in check but it´s hard. I had the good fortune of helping to organize and attending two birthday parties, a morning one at the Inti in the centre and one uphill in the afternoon.

I woke up at 7 this morning, all excited. Went to the supermarket and bought loads of goodies (juice, candies, lollypops, biscuits) and gifts for the birthday kids. I got good toothbrushes and cream, mostly stuff they will use daily. In the morning, we finished off the homework and classes by 10;30, then Edna, Melina and I prepared the candy and popcorn bags to distribute (see picture of Edna and Melina, left and right respectively with the candies) . By then, the music had already started and the children were dancing. Of course, how can I say no to dancing? ;) Carlos swept me into a frenzied dance à deux. It was really cute. I was surprised that the boys weren´t shy at all. Doesn´t it look fun?

After the children finished off lunch and cake, they left for to school and Edna and I made our way to the supermarket to get more goodies for the afternoon kids uphill. I didn´t get enough this morning, despite getting a mini-taxi full of bags. And so, up the hill we went... Ok it was actually in a mini-van that serves as a bus. It was my first time riding in one of those and let me just say that it´s not for the faint of heart, specially if you´re sitting next to the door. People get on and off with the van still running...But I made it. I know, so did Edna..but she would obviously have made it, same van or not. hehehe. Still, the higher we go, the poorer it becomes...

This uphill centre is new, as you can see and the children there are younger, but oh so lively and affectionate. I could get used to these hugs and kisses. Now, if you think that this morning was a fiesta, this one was a real concert. Two little girls especially, Gloria and Joseline, both about 9, just took to the dancefloor like there was no tomorrow. It´s a pity I can´t treat you to a video as it takes a freaking long time to upload. But these girls are amazing... And little Toribio, in red, is really sweet. He did sulk while everyone else was dancing. Apparently, dancing is not his thing. :) But still, they all went back home, feeling special.

Oops, it´s 7:30 p.m. already and I have to go home and pack. Yesterday, on a whim, I booked a weekend in Puno, Lake Titicaca. The bus leaves tonight at 9:30 p.m. for a 6-hour ride. I´ll get to stay with a native family on an island, attend a celebration, get dressed in typical clothes and eat good food. Will be back Monday early morning, in time for work. I think I will have a lot to write about when I come back. :)

Before ending, tomorrow is my brother´s birthday. Happy Birthday bro! I miss you!

And on Sunday, it´s my mum´s 60th! I´m sorry i can´t be there with you guys to celebrate but I´ll be thinking hard about you and send you lots of love.

Also celebrating this Sunday is my cousin Kevin! Big hugs big guy!

I´d better get going now. Have a great weekend!

PS: Pictures are to be viewed from bottom up. :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Incroyable!!! Une fin de semaine de bookée?? Tu m'épates vraiment avec ta débrouillardise!!! Merci pour le text en passant... j'étais un peu down et ça m'a fait sourire! Mélanie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allo belle Doreen,
    que de plaisir j'ai eu à lire ton histoire et à voir tes photos là-bas; tu as l'air comme un poisson dans l'eau! Je reconnais ta grande générosité et ta grandeur d'âme.
    Profite bien de cette belle expérience qui passe; tu t'en souviendras probablement fort longtemps!
    Have fun and see you soon at work, in your other life!!!
    xxx
    Martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. allooo mamie!!
    trop cute banes enfants la :) estce que tu es partie nager au lac titicaca?
    joyeux annif a ta maman et tof aussi! =)
    jaime tes photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaa!! To pe mari amuserrrr!! Gloria ek Joseline ine bisin impressione toi sa. Pe guette zot lor fotos. Mo envi trouve Carlos la mwa!! Mo alle lire to bane previous adventures aster la. Mo commence par pli recent moi. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyyy big cuzzzzz !!!
    Thx for wishing me a birthday !
    Looks like your having fun !

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete